1. Hello Can you give me a quote to file the last 10 years worth of taxes, and what it costs to file tax returns on an annual basses.

    My tax returns are pretty simple as I earn only 1,500USD a month, and don’t claim any other income.

    Thanks for your advise

  2. Hi,

    I am very interested in working with Visor as an American expat living in Italy. After payment for services, does Visor actually file the return or am I still responsible to do so?

    1. Hi Mike. Thanks for asking! Here’s the deal. If your only income for the year is your Social Security benefits, then your benefits are not taxable and you don’t need to file a tax return in the US. However, if you have other types of income, then some of your Social Security benefits might become taxable, so that’s a situation when we would need to take a closer look at whether you need to file a tax return.

      Here’s what the IRS said recently on their Web site: “Only Social Security. If Social Security was a taxpayer’s only income in 2016, their benefits may not be taxable. They also may not need to file a federal income tax return. If they get income from other sources, they may have to pay taxes on some of their benefits.”

  3. As i only lived in california for part of 2016 (114 days) and moved to england with my wife, would my retirement income i.e. ss and pension and distrubution from an ira still be fully taxed by the state or if not what proportion would be taxed. Also i have lived in england all of 2017. How does the state treat my retirement income. Is it tax free.

    1. Hi Doug. Thanks for asking! It’s a genuine pleasure to connect with you, even if only virtually through the Internet. For 2016, you lived part of the year in California and part of the year in the U.K. So for 2016, you will file a “part-year resident” return. During 2016, only the income received while you lived in CA is taxable in CA. The income received after you left CA will be taxable only for federal. CA does not tax Social Security benefits. So only the pension and IRA distribution will be taxed in California, and only for the amount of income that was paid out to you while you were living in the state. For 2017, you lived in the United Kingdom all year, so none of your retirement income will be taxed in California. Hope this helps! We would love to work with you. Cheers!

        1. Hello again, Doug. Good question! First, we show how much income was earned while you living in California. From there we can figure out the ratio of CA income to your total worldwide income. We then calculate your CA tax on your total income, then multiply this by the ratio to find the part of tax related just to your CA income. There isn’t a table. Rather, all this math is worked out on Form 540NR. You can reference the Form 540NR booklet from the Franchise Tax Board if you want to dig into all the details. Hope this helps.

  4. Hello.
    I’ve been living in Ireland for the past 20 years full time. I have a small bed and breakfast and am lucky to clear 20,000 after expenses. Don’t need to file and if so what is the benefit? Do I get to claim social security when I get older? Thanks

    1. Hello Melyssa, thanks for asking such a great question. Generally speaking, Americans need to file a tax return to report their income and deductions, even if they are earning income in another country. The primary benefit is avoiding any penalties for not-filing. Yes, you may be eligible for Social Security benefits when you get older. You’re eligibility for benefits depends largely on your wages and self-employment over the years.

  5. As an American/TT (dual citizen) living in TT , I have been filing through another tax preparer firm similar to Visor for the past four years. How do I switch to Visor.

    1. Hi Cynthia, we are so excited you want to switch to Visor. Simply register on the Visor site, and then fill out our questionnaire and upload this year’s tax documents and last year’s tax return. Our system will route your tax return to an in-house tax advisor who is well-versed in expat tax issues. You’ll be able to ask questions and send follow ups through our secure portal.

      We look forward to welcoming you to our family.

    1. Hi Jen, thank you so much for taking the time to reach out to us at Visor. We have a team of certified public accountants, enrolled agents, and other licensed tax professionals. At Visor, we believe our clients deserve upfront, transparent pricing. Our fee of $599 is an all-inclusive fee for preparing the U.S. federal plus the foreign bank account report. We don’t charge extra in case you need to file a state return or if you have PFICs. Visor also provides year-round support – you can reach out to us anytime to talk taxes and strategize for next year.

    1. Hi Tim, Thanks for reading our tax blog! 🙂 Yes, we all work out of offices in Atlanta and San Francisco. But clients rarely visit us. All of our client work is accomplished via our secure dashboard.

  6. I am a permanent resident in Australia. I still own a home in NYS. We visit for about six months every 1 1/2 years. I am unclear wheather I need to pay state taxes. My income comes from investments in US.

    1. Hi Linda,

      What an interesting question. Are you a US citizen as well? New York state has some rather detailed rules around who is considered a resident of NY for tax purposes. We would be happy to analyze your situation and see how the rules apply. Please sign up so we can begin our initial consultation.

  7. I have lived in Mexico since 1997. I did not have any earnings either in the US or Mexico for several years but went to work as commissioned sales agent in 2009. At first my income was very low, but over the years has increased. I have no other income in the US and have not filed a return *Federal or State since I moved to Mexico. My last state of residence was Arizona. What do you recommend?

    1. Hi Liz, the best thing for you to do is file US tax returns for four years: 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. We would request that the IRS waive any penalties as part of their Streamlined Filing Compliance Program. This is something we would love to help you with. We have a flat rate streamlined filing program service specifically designed to help you get caught up with your US tax filings. We look forward to working with you!

  8. I’ve lived in UK for 20 years. My only income during that time had been interest on savings and lately both UK State Pension and now US Social Security. I didn’t realise I needed to be filing income tax returns in US all these years. This income totals around $12,000. What do I need to do now? I don’t want risk losing my SS.

    1. Hi Kitty,

      What an interesting situation you describe. We would love to help you out. Here’s what I see in your situation. You state that your income totals around $12,000. That’s very close to the filing requirement threshold. For example, for the year 2017, a single person under age 65 is required to file a tax return in the U.S. if his or her income is at least $10,400. (The thresholds are slightly different depending on age and marital status.) As a rough analysis, your income is just over this filing requirement threshold. And this suggests you might be required to file a tax return for 2017.

      We would apply the same analysis to the earlier years.

      In other words, we would look at your income situation each year to determine if you need to file a tax return in the US. If so, we recommend you file a tax return.

      We would love to assist you. Feel free to sign up as a client, and we can schedule time to analyze your situation properly and advise you how to move forward.

  9. I just need my tax return prepared. I have filed the FBAR myself.
    What is your fee for a simple tax return?
    I have lived in Sweden for many years M and filed every year. I need a new tax preparer now.

    Thank you
    Gail Andersson

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *